Wednesday 23 September 2009

Interview with Sister Charlotte Moran. Stroke Ward, Stepping Hill Hospital

Strokes: people can become withdrawn, quiet, can be aggressive, can be tearful. People often say, you hear about strokes, but until it happens…


It’s hard to tell what a stroke will bring. You can have a mini-stroke that 24 hours later has been resolved. Other patients can be here 10 months. In the acute phase, people need to be looked after a lot. Then they move towards rehabilitation. It’s goal setting.


It’s about the denseness of the limbs – not being able to hold up your leg or arm, like a dead weight, with no power. But that can come back working with OTs and physios. Patients often talk to these people a lot, thinking about how they’re going to cope at home. Talking about the little things really. When they go home I always say goodbye. A shake of the hand, a kiss of the cheek. It’s the little things that make people tick.


Advice about strokes is improving: diet, lifestyle, smoking, therapy, advice about driving… The Stroke Association is good and the government have addressed it. Strokes have been a key area, like reducing waiting times. Awareness has improved through the media. So people know that smoking, high blood pressure, stressful job might have contributed to them having a stroke. Others just won’t believe it, whatever you tell them.


Do certain kinds of patients recover more easily from a stroke? Someone who is motivated has a reason to improve – a family, a holiday cruise booked, things to look forward to. Trust – trusting the staff – this really helps. We build a therapeutic relationships and trust is a big help with that. Humour – often people with a good sense of humour do well.


The basic care we do respectfully. A lot of trust is needed. What’s said (between nurse and patient) is in confidence. As a nurse, one of your codes is confidentiality. We are also advocates for people who perhaps can’t voice their own views. Often gestures can be used to communicate. Communication boards, picture boards, a basic YES/NO on picture cards. I’M HUNGRY. I’M IN PAIN. Someone might be able to smile. Communication takes a lot of time, but we’ve got to find a way. And then when it gets to the more complex things such as ‘I’d like some crumpets for my breakfast’, it’s difficult.


A typical stroke patient would be someone who lost movement in an arm, had swallow difficulty and some visual problems – bleeds or blockage can affect vision, creating one-eyed vision, tunnel or slit vision leading to a high risk of falling.


We are building therapeutic relationships, holistic – they’re not a number they’re a person. We orientate them to time and place, say hello at the start of the day and bye at the end. We have ex-patients who come in as volunteers and give out teas and cakes and sit with the patients, having a talk. Letting them know it’ll be OK.


Do I get stressed? You have to look after yourself, be aware of burnout. Space your shifts, take holidays, make sure you’re eating and sleeping properly. We do have time to debrief or reflect, that’s part of nurse training, but it is down to the individual.


I have the ability to switch on or off. During the car journey home I can switch off and become Charlotte, though not always. Sometimes I get upset. But if I cared in a strong way about every patient that died I’d be tearful all the time and couldn’t support anyone. My job is to support the patient and the family and I have to be there for staff as well. The staff know the door’s always open. Patients can be aggressive and upset the staff. I’m there for them, in the thick of it.


The staff work as a team, it’s a collective effort. Everyone needs to know their job and all bring something different. I might be very focussed and procedure-led, whereas someone else will be interested in having a chat about what you had for your tea.


I think you’re born with caring in you. Most of the women in my family went into caring: nursing, social work. I was caring for children from a young age. You don’t run out of caring, even when you’re exhausted and don’t know how you’re going to find the energy to drive home. You get up next day and come back with the same amount of caring. I’d say that’s true of most nurses.


I was born with it, always going to be a nurse. Went into it from Uni. Student Nurse: you get your tunic and your set of keys. But you learn how to actually be a nurse gradually. At first, some days are good, others not. You know if you’re made for this. Can you deal with the smell of a ward?

I listen out the whole time I’m here – it’s like a sixth sense listening to all the bays, making sure everything is alright. I just do it as part of the job. Some days you feel the responsibility. I’m paid to be accountable, my job is to make sure everything is to standard.


Patience: take a breath and count to ten. I do that regularly. Patience is not one of my qualities, I have to work on it. My family say my patience runs out at home – my mum and aunties are the same. But here I’m full of sympathy.


Sister Charlotte Moran, interviewed by Philip Davenport 7th August 2009

No comments: