Friday 26 June 2009

the jargon

Below is the poem we made with the group 'talking heads' at Walthew House. Walthew House http://www.walthewhouse.org.uk is an independent local charity supporting people in Stockport who are blind, visually impaired, Deaf or hard of hearing or who have dual sensory loss. We were made very welcome by the group, I learnt lots and look forward to hearing about the next session with the group (I'll be of on my maternity leave by then!)


the jargon

terminology:
I’m registered blind

the word blind is very final
people
get embarrassed by words
but I’ve always faced the world
blind
eyes of bone

some boys kicked
the stick out of my hand, said
“Now go look for it,” said
unacceptable words, not-PC
always interested me, the words
I am totally blind
a spade’s a spade
an indicator cane
a symbol
a guide cane to
measure from your foot to your breastbone

go through a grieving
lost vision
lost independence
grieving
lightsudden flewbird
go through a long time
the bitter twist fills a void
Blind Beggarman Pew always
bringing the black spot

language, jargon:
visually impaired

how small my disability
from the foot
to the top of the heart-bone
born blind:
went to schools for the blind
the sunshine homes
colours mix with words for me
anger with red traffic lights
what you can see and what I can’t is

I don’t get any older
in the shaving mirror.

No comments: