Thursday 4 June 2009

many thing


many thing

I know full well we’ll never leave this place
there’s a law in chemistry that says
you can never create or destroy matter, no matter
if they cremate or bury – your remains
will become part of the strata of the rains
and winds will blow you across
the face of the agnostic earth
you the atoms cannot be destroyed
will be here doubting Thomas for millions of years

perhaps we are all the figment of someone

don’t need to dig down if you
drop by a graveyard
the bacteria come up to become
more stars in the sky than there are
grains of sand in the
oceans are not burning
me it’s an overcoat for your spirit:
do I believe in anything, do
I believe in many things?

(I never go to bed ‘til I’ve said me prayers at night:
whisper that)


David Smith, Harry Wantling, Phyllis Hollinshead, Hilda Hewitt
2007


Living with death and dying

An enormous diversity exists in the way people view and approach death and dying. This diversity continues to be evident when people are faced with the knowledge that their own death is approaching. There is no standard, correct or even best way of dying. Yet there is a concept of a ‘good death’ … Consider the following statements about what might constitute a good death. What would you most like for yourself?

• I want to die in my own home
• I want to die in a hospice cared for by people who understand how to make me comfortable
• I want to have someone religious with me at the moment of death, praying for me
• I would hate to be on public view and want to have privacy
• I want to die quickly
• I want the opportunity to say good-bye to my family
• I would hate to live to be very old
• I want to live to a good age, as long as I have my faculties
• I want to die in my sleep and know nothing about it
• I don't want to die in pain
• I want to die in solitude
• I want to be ready when the time comes
• I want to be with other people on an open ward, and not hidden away
• I want to be very alert, even if this means being in some pain
• I want to be ready and accept death when it comes
• I want to be able to die as the person I am and be accepted for that, even if I’m angry, or in denial
• I don’t want anyone religious around, nor do I want any religious ideas expressed
• I want to be able to plan my own funeral.

See also The Good Death, an essay by Mary Bradbury at

http://openlearn.open.ac.uk/file.php/1621/The%20Good%20Death.pdf

Sources: Learning Space, the Open University website

image 'couldn't see the sun for a week' anon 2007

No comments: