Thursday 21 May 2009

and Diabetes


"Over 2 million people in England are living with diabetes. Many more have the condition but don’t know it. Type 1 and type 2 are the most common forms. The causes of both types are different, but both result in too much glucose (sugar) in the blood." (NHS choices website)

The following was written by a gentleman who had just discovered he had the condition..


and diabetes
for four days
so no sugar on my wheatabix
wheatabix without sugar kind of dead

didn’t like it at all
like my bounty bar
couldn’t have them
do a test
if it comes up plus
they tell you
‘good Lord that’s high’
nothing I can do about it


Gerald (Gerry) Manley
31st October 2008


We would be really interested to hear about your experiences of living with Diabetes, please feel free to post them here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Getting towards 20 years I’ve been diabetic, the treatment has improved a lot in those years- and really speeded up in the last 5.

In those days they terrified you to death about eating sugar- they put the fear of death into you about your diet. They never thought about your mental attitude in those days. Now you can join Diabetes UK, a magazine a month- it lets you know about other people who have it, athletes who run marathons…. You can write in, you can join a support group (I’m not a group joiner)

They really terrified me at first- if I had a gram of sugar, I thought I would die- it was a personal feeling- it could have just been that consultant I was talking to. It was a long time till I found I could forget one treatment in a day and still be ok. You don’t die from Diabetes as such, but the things associated with it- your blood is weakened.

When the nurse discovered the Diabetes, my nerves had been shattered, the nurse was a goddess, an absolute goddess- she came round everyday to look after me.

I feel better when I go to the hospital- my blood pressure rises, when I see all those ill people, people who are really ill. I’m not as bad of, mustn’t grumble.

But I hate being diabetic, hate, hate, hate being ill.

The diabetes doesn’t control you- you control the diabetes- that’s what your meant to do. 5 different pills, 5 x a day: 1st thing in the morning- blood pressure pill, then the insulin, then another pill 4 times a day to help the digestion helps the process, then in the afternoon I take an aspirin (it has incredible medical properties) in the evening- cholesterol one pill of cholesterol before I go to bed…

Injecting myself has got easier, because of technical improvements: a nice pen- its magic, much much improved.. and you don’t have to wait that half hour.

You have to keep it under control to lesser the other problems. The doctors are discovering all the time. I leave it to the doctors now….. like waves on the sea.

Joseph Blackburn
Edinburgh