Monday 25 May 2009

Strokes


A stroke is a serious medical condition that occurs when the blood supply to the brain is disturbed.
Like all organs, our brain needs the oxygen and nutrients provided by our blood to function properly. If the supply of blood is restricted or stopped, brain cells begin to die. This can lead to brain damage and possibly death.
NHS choices website

‘I get on with life hour to hour
have to accept, get on with it
strokes – don’t know what you’re facing
everyone lonely in their own way
but you can’t take it out on other people
got to get on a journey
soulsearching.’

anon 2009

‘It was explained by my daughter. She said: ‘Dad you’ve had a stroke.’ They had to find out what bit of me was affected. Initially speech was and then I found my arms (especially the lef) did not have the usual mobility. I still don’t know exactly what it was. I assume a small vein in my brain. I am 78, so one must expect things to go wrong…’

anon 2009

Have you or someone you care for had a stroke? what are your experiences of it? good and bad, we would love to hear your thoughts.....

1 comment:

arthur+martha said...

I watched a fascinating program last night 'Painting the Mind' on More 4, part of the True Stories series, it followed the stories of two men who had suffered a stroke. "Sarah Feltes's film looks at the untapped artistic resources of the human brain. Can transcranial magnetic stimulation unlock the hidden potential that is dormant in all our brains?" You can watch again on-line at http://www.channel4.com/programmes/painting-the-mind/catch-up#2919348