Sunday 18 July 2010

Hip replacements

Things are changing, as technology changes. And they can offer far more its not just people with osteoarthritis that have hip replacements, there are replacements of other joints- things are advancing all the time. I thought when I was on the ward that I would be one of the youngest (at 63) but there were people quite a bit younger than me. There is very little coloration between how something appears on an x-ray and the amount of symptoms, so to a certain extent they go on the symptoms. It’s also a question of supply and demand. The government see healthcare in terms of surgery, therefore they set targets that can be measured, so there have been more, its easier to get a hip replacement than it was. In my case, it was if your sleep was being disturbed; you’ve got pain in the night.


extract from interview with Alison Creed. Retired

No comments: